Food for thought...

"The higher you soar, the smaller you appear to those who cannot fly."

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Time Machine....


So, lets take it back shall we? Imagine the 1920's Harlem, Cotton club. May seem pretty hard to imagine for some of us...removed from that era. For many people, the history of the Cotton Club is just a distant memory and music greats such as Lionel Hampton and Duke Ellington are just ghosts mentioned here and there in the media. However on Monday night, March 9th, my girl lizz and I decided to experience something different at the Cotton Club. We watched my father and Uncle (both of whom created the Pazant Brothers Band) conduct the All Star Jazz Band at the Cotton Club. I was surprised to see that the Cotton Club doesn't just bring a crowd that is expected. Quite the opposite. The cotton Club brought about a very diverse crowd. In fact, there were many Asians there, gettin it innn! Amazing I thought. I guess this is just a lesson in learning that music touches every person, regardless of race, age or gender. Sooo, Lizz and I experienced something a bit different. The Cotton Club that night in many ways was a Time Machine, transporting us back to an age where music, soulful music was cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment